Sunday, September 25, 2011

Hang that Heat Dump

  Initially I was just going to hand the heat dump form a couple of simple pipe hangers until I got concerned that it might pull out of the wall under the weight of the water.  But I might have gone a little to far in the opposite direction.

    Using Misumi 40×40mm extrusions, I constructed a couple of ladder type of supports that cost a total of $200.

   Using a Bosch hammerdrill, I made some 3/16" holes in the concrete and fastened the aluminum extrusions to the wall with tapcon concrete screws.  To get the two supports level. I used my laser level which you can see in the picture as a faint red line.
   The laser line was lined up with the screws of the first support, again with the faint red line.
    With the supports in place, the heat dump could be mounted to the wall.  So the aluminum fins don't get dented, plastic support pieces were placed between the Misumi aluminum extrusions and the radiant heaters.  The plastic pieces come with the radiant heaters and fit well on the 40 mm extrusion. 
   Only gravity is holding the heat dump in place, so thermal expansion should be easily accommodated.  However, the heat dump is fully captured by the aluminum extrusions and cannot fall off the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment