Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The tax man cometh... and brings gifts

    Yes it is that time of the year again, yet some of us are looking forward to it for a change.  Tax season.

  Agree or disagree, the federal government is willing to pay for 30% of the installed cost of solar hot water systems.  And if the government is offering, then surely I am going to take them up on it.



  Having spent just shy of $12,500 (I know it is a lot!) on my hot water system, the government has sent me a check for $3,750.  Not too bad.  That leaves me $8,750 out of pocket for the system.  We will see, in the months and years ahead, whether that was a good or bad investment.  However, considering (a) I heat with oil and (b) I lived through the 1974 OPEC oil embargo, I think the peace of mind will be well worth it.

   Next up, more 2" thick foam insulation for my basement walls to save even more oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment